Thursday, December 12, 2013

'They watched me in the bath via my laptop': How webcam hackers spy on women in their homes

A university student has revealed how she was spied on by hackers while she was in the bath.  English student Rachel Hyndman was using her laptop to watch a DVD in her bathroom when she noticed her webcam suddenly turned itself on. 

Miss Hyndman, 20, from Glasgow, said: 'I was in the bath, trying to relax, and then programs on my computer came on like a ghost was using it. I couldn't regain control of it. 

'It was terrifying to think people had been looking at me without me knowing. I wondered how often they had done it without me realizing. The thought someone had access to me in this private moment is horrifying.' 

Miss Hyndman, who also works in a computer shop, said she considered going to the police but feared they would laugh at her.

Called 'ratting', hackers can send out an internet virus that allows them access to a person's desktop computer or laptop without their knowledge.  They can then switch on the webcam – built in to most new computers – and watch people in the privacy of their living rooms and bedrooms without them realizing they are being closely observed.

A webcam is a video camera that feeds images in 'real time' to another computer, computer network or the internet.
A BBC Radio 5 Live investigation found the illegal practice is now so prevalent there is even a profitable underground market selling the ability to watch victims, who are dubbed 'slaves', for a few pounds.

More worryingly, pedophiles are using the technique to target youngsters – mainly girls – who have computers in their bedrooms.
#ratting #webcamspying #webcamhacking  #RAT

The only way to stop webcam hacking is with a webcam cover.  C-SLIDE makes the best webcam covers on the market today.  Check them out at http://www.webcamcover.com


No comments:

Post a Comment